Are you maximizing the full potential of LinkedIn to expand your professional network?
This week on the Social Media Social Hour, I’m joined by LinkedIn expert Ron Nash to discuss how you can enhance your LinkedIn profile and use the social network to grow your professional network. Ron is the founder and owner of Dream Job University and the author of two books; Leveraging LinkedIn and How To Find Your Dream Job Even In A Recession.
I also go over a tool that that you can use to jazz up your photos before you post them to popular social networks like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest and Instagram to drive even more engagement.
About this show:
The Social Media Social Hour is a podcast for marketers and entrepreneurs looking to get on the social media marketing fast track. The podcast is an interview format, where each week I get up close and personal with top brands and influencers to talk social media, tech and online marketing. Each week I also share tools that I personally use to help me with social media management, sales, marketing, account management and productivity.
In this episode, here’s what we’ll cover:
- Tech Tool of The Week: Color Strokes is a great tool to doctor up photos before you share them across top social networks. Color Strokes makes their app available for the Mac desktop, iPhone and iPad.
- Ron Nash shares his story on how he went from being a headhunter to an early adapter of LinkedIn to becoming a LinkedIn master.
- Ron explains how LinkedIn is more than just an online resume and provides tips and strategies to use LinkedIn for business development, building relationships, finding investors, discovering jobs and more.
- Ron shares with us how to maximize your LinkedIn activity for business networking.
- Linkedin is able to track very different and unique data than Facebook, allowing you to connect with people based on company size, job title and more.
- Ron addresses a common question on whether a brand should have a presence on LinkedIn.
- The single most important takeaway is to have a strong LinkedIn profile and Ron goes into what that entails.
- Ron goes into how often you should update and tweak your profile and what you should be changing when you update it.
- The most important tip to optimize your LinkedIn profile is to make sure you have a strong professional headline, including having a headshot that is relevant to your industry. Ron advises to strategically update your profile photo every couple of months.
- Make changes strategically to your profile. When you make those changes, it will publish updates to your network. If you don’t you’re out of sight and out of mind.
- Have profile photos that are indicative to your industry.
- Don’t treat your summary like a resume. It should be lively and “wow” people. Don’t be boring.
- Ron goes into the difference between recommendations and endorsements and how to leverage them.
- Ron discusses some amazing tactics on how to give recommendations to connect with people.
- You can leverage your recommendations on LinkedIn and utilize them for proposals and recommendations.
- Ron goes into the differences and best practices for managing your personal LinkedIn page versus your Facebook and Twitter page, including the proper number of posts to do in a week.
- Ron posts a new discussion every other day to his page and all the groups that he participates in.
- When you share to a group, be strategic in which groups you share to.
- The LinkedIn mobile app is a great way to easily access LinkedIn where you’re located.
- LinkedIn labs is a tool that will take your LinkedIn profile and turn it into a resume.
- Ron goes into what LinkedIn groups are and an ideal strategy to participate in LinkedIn Groups.
Ron Nash’s Social Media Six Pack (six questions where I ask Ron to provide one simple answer):
- After LinkedIn, the social network you prefer most a) Facebook
- The last LinkedIn Group you joined a) Friends at LinkedIn
- What smartphone do you use? a) Samsung Gallaxy
- Favorite Social Media Blog you read a) Ried Hoffman
- Secret tool you use on a daily basis? a) LinkedIn Mobile App
- Did Ceaser help you train your dog? a) Yes! Indirectly
Items mentioned in the episode:
- Color Strokes
- Dream Job University
- How to Find Your Dream Job, Even In a Recession
- Leveraging LinkedIn
- Introduction to LinkedIn Career Networking